Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Week 6 EOC: Things I buy that "define" me

Spending money is always a trigger of emotions and feelings. If you’re going to grocery store to buy a carton of eggs and bread more than likely you are not too excited about spending more money on food because you’re going to have to come back and spend more money when you run out of food. Your emotion changes when you spend money on things you want. Instead of buying something you need, you feel that high if you buy something you have wanted or something you really love. I will admit I love shopping. What girl doesn’t? I don’t need the excuse of the holidays or a birthday to need to shop. As a child my mother would beg me to start carrying a purse. I would normally stick my money in my pockets and go to the store with crumpled bills and my other pocket would be jingling with the change I would bring as well. Every time my mom told me to get a purse I refused. Why would I want to carry something else when I could stick my money in my pockets? High school is when I finally discovered my love for designer purses. I became obsessed with them. Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Coach, Versace, Valentino, Burberry. I could go on forever. The smell of leather in the store was seductive to me. As an adult I realized I became known for always carrying a designer purse. To me it’s like carrying art on your arm and I love adding to my gallery.

As I think about what items in my life that “defines” me I instantly think of my glasses. I’ve worn glasses since the 4th grade. At that age I would get my favorite color but now as an adult my glasses have changed at least once a year. My latest pair, purple Vera Wang’s with thick bold frames. I choose my glasses first on label, appearance, comfort, and then price. I have been very fortunate to be able to afford glasses that I really love and love wearing. I have considered getting Lasik eye surgery, but then I would lose my reason to buy a new pair of glasses. To me glasses are basically an accessory for my face.

One last thing item that I feel makes me happy and really defines my need for beautiful things is makeup. Sure I could go to the grocery store or drug store and buy my makeup there but I don’t get the same feeling I get when I spend my money on high end makeup from Sephora or a department store. Whether it is the higher quality or the experience I get from going to the store, I look forward to the day I allow myself to purchase new makeup. My collection is big enough so that I wouldn’t need a new eye shadow or lipstick for years but something about finding a new item I know I’ll love makes me in turn feel satisfied.

As a result, all of the items that I consider “defining” of myself seem quite shallow. None are for medical reasons or to survive but all because I want them. I don’t have to carry a designer purse or buy makeup from a department store. I want these items. There is no real reason why I do. I can afford them and I know the feeling I’ll have once I do so I continue to purchase them. If society only bought things they needed we would be very different people. The experience created by these companies is proof that with great marketing you can sell anything even in times when people should be saving.


No comments:

Post a Comment